Cambridge Regional College - Centre of Vocational Excellence

Tune in to BBC Look East at 6pm tonight for a report on our gaming students

Students and staff at Cambridge Regional College feature on BBC Look East tonight amid latest figures that show half of Cambridge business is in the tech sector.

Chris Baker, Head of Gaming, and three students, will feature in the report, where they had the chance to showcase their skills in coding, design, sound and production.

Look East visited the college today (Wednesday 12) to prepare a report on how Cambridge is a hub of tech excellence.

The feature this evening will include a live link up to our student’s two day exhibition of gaming work, set to be attended by leading figures from local tech and gaming companies.

Interviewed for the story were students Josh Callus, 18, Alban Rigby, 17, and Henry Mitchell, 22.

Josh, who is set to go to Teeside University to study Technical Games Programming, said: “This has been the perfect route for me. I never thought I could do this, but the college course has proved to me I can.”

Alban, who plans a gap year before going to Hertfordshire University to study sound design, said: “I’ve realised this is what I’m good at and hope to work in the sound industry in games, TV or film.”

Henry added: “The best thing about studying here is being in a professional learning environment around other like minded learners.”

Cambridge is second only to London in the whole of the UK for attracting high growth technology investment, the Tech Nation 2019 report in conjunction with the World Economic Forum, reveals.

London companies received £9 billion from 2015-18 with Cambridge second at £583 million grossed.

The East of England in general is shown to be an outstanding performer on the UK’s tech stage.

Cambridge Campus Status

The Cambridge Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18

Huntingdon Campus Status

The Huntingdon Campus is open as normal.
3/3/18