Apprenticeship Standard (Level 3) - Laboratory Technician
|Course Duration:||2 Year(s)|
|Course Mode:||Part Time|
You will learn about the fundamentals of science, relevant and up to date practical skills to support your employment and develop broader scientific skills such as academic writing, referencing and research. During your course you will be taught in well equipped science laboratories by staff experienced in delivering science to people who are employed in the industry
This course is designed for students who:
• Are employed within a laboratory setting
• Have a keen interest in laboratory work
• Enjoy lab work and discovering themselves in practical situations
• Want a qualification that is relevant and helpful to their careers
This apprenticeship covers three elements:
1. Technical Certificate - BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma (6 units over two years) or Diploma (12 units over two years) in Applied Science.
2. Functional Skills in English and Maths.
3. Either NVQ in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities, which is aimed at those working in either an industrial or educational lab environment and covers sampling, testing and calibration procedures (Industrial Environment) and preparing and maintaining resources for teaching (Educational Environment)
Or NVQ in Laboratory Science aimed at those working in medical or hospital laboratories in areas such as microbiology, biochemistry, pathology and cytology.
Both NVQs provide a thorough introduction to Health & Safety requirements in a laboratory environment, the use of laboratory information systems and the importance of effective working relationships within teams.
4. IOSH Certificate.
Progression & Career Opportunities
This programme opens up career opportunities with your chosen industry through promotion. It may also help you consider new job roles such as working in a research laboratory, hospital laboratory, environmental science laboratory, or laboratory within an educational establishment or might also offer the chance to continue your studies at a higher level. Students could consider L4 vocational science programmes within the college or HE progression onto a wide variety of courses such as biochemistry, biomedical science etc.
Candidates must have a prior attainment of a Level 2 Laboratory Science qualification (or equivalent). Candidates must also have GCSEs in Maths and English at Grade C or above (or equivalent).
Learning Assessment & Support
We want you to achieve to the very best of your ability at CRC. To make this happen we offer both learning and personal support by specialist staff tailored to meet your specific needs.
Assessment for the NVQ element of the Apprenticeship takes the form of observational assessments in the workplace carrying out your everyday duties. Assessment for the Technical Certificate takes the form of assessed assignments. These are completed mainly outside of classes and additional study is also required to support the theory / practical side of the course. Functional Skills assessment is exam-based within College.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for an Apprenticeship, please contact our Apprenticeship Team on tel. 01223 418778 or by email email@example.com. Please also check out our current Apprenticeship vacancies on our website www.camre.ac.uk/apprenticeships
We will help you to develop a range of wider skills including English & Maths that will make you into a well-rounded professional who will be highly valued by employers and universities.