Level 3 Foundation/Extended Diploma in Computing
|Course Duration:||2 Year(s)|
|Course Mode:||Full Time|
This industry facing Study Programme will give you an excellent grounding into the rapidly changing IT world in terms of understanding expectations, opportunities, roles and responsibilities and how the IT area relates to and permeates into all aspects of our daily lives including social, employment and global commerce. Students can specialise in either software or hardware routes. Units selected for the course are outward facing and focused on progression either into Higher Education or Employment.
NB: The Level 3 qualification has moved to the new generation suite and now includes a range of externally examined units, e.g. paper based, online or controlled assessments.
Explore, challenge and develop your:-
• Industry specialist skills such as animation, hardware, programming using e.g. Visual Basic, Python, Java Script, C#, interface, database design and management
• Project management from conception to conclusion including testing and networks, Mobile App design and network security
• English and Maths through either a Functional Skills or GCSE retake programme
• English, Maths and IT skills through the vocational assignments
• Employability skills. E.g. communication in both written and verbal forms, self-management and problem-solving skills, confidence at working under pressure, trouble shooting, being a productive and supportive member of a team and leadership skills.
You will need to demonstrate, at interview, an interest and enthusiasm for IT.
There is an additional cost of £50 to cover trips and guest speakers. This charge is to be paid at enrolment and is non-refundable. The learner support fund is available and could assist paying towards these fees.
Progression & Career Opportunities
This qualification helps you to progress on to:-
• BA/BSc/FdA at a Higher Education institution or to our HNC/Computing and Systems Development or Games Development
• Apprenticeships within the wider commercial/ IT industries and supported through Cambridge Regional College
• Employment e.g. junior programmer, website developer or junior network engineer.
Please note, in order to progress to a Level 4/5 HNC/D course you will need to achieve a minimum Pass for your Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma.
You will need 4 GCSEs at grades 4 or above, including English or Maths, or a Level 2 IT Diploma.
In addition to the entry qualifications listed, the offer of a place on the course is subject to the outcomes of initial assessment, which will be taken at the College as part of the admissions process. Please note that entry criteria may vary quite significantly between courses at the same level. This is to take account of the specific skills needed for success on particular courses, the length of the course and the requirements for progression to the next level. Entry criteria are given as a guide, and the exact requirements in order to obtain a place on a particular course will be confirmed following attendance at a Welcome Event/Interview.
Learning Assessment & Support
We want you to achieve to the very best of your ability at CRC. To make this happen we offer both learning and personal support by specialist staff tailored to meet your specific needs.
Externally assessed units will involve either a written examination or timed assessment.
Course work is continually assessed by a range of methods which may include projects, assignments, case studies, course work, self-assessment, feedback from clients and panel reviews. Grades from Pass, Merit, Distinction may be awarded to course work.
The Study Programmes are over 5 days each week.
There is regular one to one tutorial provision.
How to Apply
Students who currently attend a Cambridge Area Partnership school should apply through UCASprogress.com or by using the Cambridge Area Partnership Application Form, which is held by your Careers Teacher at school.
Once we have received your application, you will be invited to attend a Welcome Event, which gives you and your parents/carers the opportunity to have a look around the College, talk to the tutors and ask any questions you may have.